Care for the Elderly

As we get older life brings us new challenges to overcome that could be related to work, pensions, health and our plans for retirement. A particular challenge that affects more and more of us is planning for the cost of care, if required, when we get older. For that reason, we encourage our clients to plan in advance for care needs that may lie ahead, which is something we can assist you with.

If you, or a loved one, are at the stage of considering your options to receive care services, we can provide you with advice and assistance navigating the care system.

Options for Care

What are the options available for care? The two main options are either to receive care in your own home (or a relative’s home) or care within the setting of a residential or nursing home.

What’s the difference between care at home and care in a care home?

Care at Home can take a variety of forms; this can be simple tasks that you need help with such as shopping or housework; or could be support with personal care such assistance getting washed and dressed; and carers can even be there to provide companionship and support to get out and about. Care services at home can help you live an independent life in your own home for as long as possible. The level of support can vary between a couple of hours per week, right up to live-in care at home or might be used for periods of respite. These services might be obtained from the council or from private care companies. We have contacts in care service companies that we can put you in touch with if you think care services at home might be right for you or for your loved one.

Care in a Residential Care Home may be provided in a residential care home or a nursing home. These homes are usually for people needing more care than they could get in their own home, possibly for those living with conditions such as Alzheimer’s Disease or other forms of dementia. Moving into a residential home may not always due to poor health; it can sometimes be used as a way of allowing older people to live among peers and to facilitate a pleasant life with support available where required.

This sounds expensive, can I afford it?

Care at home and care within a residential care home or nursing home can be an expensive service. Different types of funding that may be available to you are:-

  • Personal and nursing care allowance;
  • Self-directed support;
  • Financial assistance from the local authority towards the cost of residential home;
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s allowance

What can Gibson Kerr do to help?

Here at Gibson Kerr, we pride ourselves on being expert advisers on personal law matters and our Personal Law Department Partner, Lindsay Maclean, is an accredited member of Solicitors for the Elderly.

Our experience includes helping our clients to navigate the paperwork involved with securing allowances, advising on financial thresholds for assistance with care services and other issues surrounding securing care at home or in a retirement facility.

We can help answer questions such as:

  • Do I qualify for personal and nursing care allowances?
  • Am I entitled to any financial support for care at home or care in a residential home?
  • Is my income taken into account for support with care at home?
  • Do I have to sell my home to move into a care home?
  • If I move into a care home, but my partner still lives at home, is my home still taken into account with the rest of my assets?
  • If I move into a care home, but my children still live at home, is my home still taken into account with the rest of my assets?
  • If I no longer own my home, how will my finances be assessed for care services?

For support with these issues and any other issues you may experience with securing care at home or in a residential care home, call Gibson Kerr today.


Lindsay Maclean
Partner, Head of Personal Law
Get in touch with me when you need reliable legal advice on any aspect of Wills & Estate planning, including powers of attorney, will writing, financial planning and executries.
Edinburgh: 0131 208 2260
Glasgow: 0141 628 0656
or Request a callback